Все форумы

Праздники РФ

Общие вопросы
Клубы авто

Страница 1 из 11
Форум » Forum in English » Holidays Russia » January 27 The Day of the Lifting of the Siege of Leningrad (a memorable day)
January 27 The Day of the Lifting of the Siege of Leningrad
Дата: Среда, 15.03.2017, 05:09 | Сообщение # 1
Группа: Модератор

Пол: Мужчина

January 27 The Day of the lifting of the siege of the city of Leningrad in Russia (a memorable day)

January thunder (operation)

The January Thunder, the Krasnoselsko-Ropshin operation, or Operation Neva-2 (January 14-30, 1944) was an offensive operation by the Soviet troops of the Leningrad Front against the 18th German Army besieging Leningrad. Part of the Leningrad-Novgorod strategic operation.

As a result of the operation, the troops of the Leningrad Front destroyed the Peterhof-Strelna grouping of the enemy, drove the enemy 60-100 kilometers from the city, liberated Krasnoe Selo, Ropsha, Krasnogvardeisk, Pushkin, Slutsk and, in cooperation with the troops of the Volkhov Front, completely liberated Leningrad from the enemy blockade .

The forces of the parties
the USSR
Leningrad Front, Commander - Army General L. A. Govorov, Chief of Staff - Lieutenant-General D. N. Gusev:

The 2nd Shock Army, Commander - Lieutenant-General II Fedyuninsky.
The 42nd Army, commander - Colonel-General II Maslennikov.
The 67th Army, the commander is Lieutenant-General V.P. Sviridov.
The 13th Air Army, the commander is Colonel-General of the Air Force SD Rybalchenko.
The Baltic Fleet, the commander - Admiral VF Tributs.

Army Group "North", commander - General-Field Marshal Georg von Kühler:

The 18th Army, the commander is the cavalry general Georg Lindeman.
The 1st Air Fleet, commander - General Kurt Pflugbeyl.

The situation near Leningrad at the beginning of 1944
In 1943, Soviet troops, as a result of a number of operations, broke through the blockade of Leningrad, seized the initiative in the north-west direction, but failed to fully free the city from the siege. The troops of the German 18th Army were in the immediate vicinity of Leningrad and continued intensive artillery shelling of the city and "Victory Roads".

II Fedyuninsky so assessed the situation near Leningrad by the end of 1943:

The situation near Leningrad was determined by the general situation on the fronts. The Soviet Army during 1943 inflicted a series of powerful blows on the German fascist troops and forced the enemy to a continuous retreat. By November the enemy had to clear almost two-thirds of the territory of our Motherland that he had seized. But near Leningrad, the Nazis, girding themselves with a powerful line of defensive structures, continued to improve their positions and hoped to keep them as the basis for the entire left wing of the Eastern Front.

In early September 1943, the Soviet command learned that the German troops had begun preparing for a retreat from Leningrad to the new defensive lines on the Narva-Chudskoe Lake-Pskov-Ostrov-Idritsa (Panther) line.

Based on the prevailing situation, the military councils of the Leningrad and Volkhov Fronts immediately began to work out a plan for a joint large-scale operation with the aim of destroying the 18th German Army and completely freeing Leningrad from blockade.

Since until the end of 1943 there was uncertainty about the plans of the German troops, the Soviet command developed two variants of the offensive. The first option envisaged an immediate transition to the pursuit of the enemy in the event of his retreat (Neva 1), and the second - a breakthrough in the enemy's echeloned defense in case the German troops continue to hold their positions (Neva 2).

The command of the Army Group "North" quickly received information about the preparation of Soviet troops for the offensive, which caused G. Kühler to address A. Hitler with a request to speed up the withdrawal of troops to the Panther line. However, Hitler, guided by the opinion of the Commander of the 18th Army, G. Lindemann, who assured that his troops would repel a new Soviet offensive, ordered Army Group Sever to continue the siege of Leningrad.

The offensive plan
The overall intent of the offensive operation of the Leningrad and Volkhov fronts was to strike simultaneous strikes on the flanks of the 18th German Army in the Peterhof-Strelna area (Krasnoselsko-Ropshinskaya operation) and in the Novgorod region (the Novgorod-Luga operation). Then it was planned, encroaching on Kingisepp and Luga directions, to surround the main forces of the 18th Army and develop an offensive against Narva, Pskov and Idritsa. The main goal of the forthcoming offensive was the complete liberation of Leningrad from the blockade. In addition, it was planned to free the Leningrad region from the German occupation and create prerequisites for a further successful offensive in the Baltic states.

According to the final plan of the operation, the troops of the Leningrad Front went over to the offensive by the forces of the 2nd Shock Army from the Oranienbaum bridgehead and forces of the 42nd Army from the area south-west of Leningrad. Having united in the Krasnoe Selo-Ropsha area, the troops of the 2nd Shock and 42nd Armies were to destroy the Peterhof-Strelna grouping of the enemy, and then continue the offensive in the south-west direction to Kingisepp and southward to Krasnogvardeisk, and then to Lugu.

A few days after the beginning of the operation, the 67th Army was to join the offensive. The troops of the army were tasked with liberating Mgu, Ulyanovka, Tosno and, in cooperation with the troops of the Volkhov Front, completely regaining control of the Kirov and Oktyabrskaya railways. Later, parts of the 67th Army were to develop an offensive against Pushkin and Krasnogvardeysk.

Simultaneously with the troops of the Leningrad Front, the troops of the Volkhov Front crossed the offensive, which, after the defeat of the Novgorod group of the enemy, was to rapidly develop an offensive against Luga. Having united in the area of ​​Luga, the troops of the Leningrad and Volkhov fronts were to surround the main forces of the 18th German Army.

Arrangement of forces before the beginning of the operation
The Leningrad Front
By the beginning of 1944, the forces of the Leningrad Front occupied the defenses directly around Leningrad by the forces of three combined arms armies: the lines of defense of the 23rd Army passed through the Isthmus of Karelia and from the coast of the Gulf of Finland to the Gontovoi Lipki defended part of the 42nd and 67th armies. In addition, the front forces held the Oranienbaum bridgehead (up to 50 kilometers along the front and 25 kilometers in depth).

Since the Headquarters of the Supreme High Command had not been able to significantly strengthen Soviet troops near Leningrad, the front commanders conducted a number of regroupings in the troops in order to concentrate forces and resources in the direction of the main attack.

Thus, the 2nd Shock Army was redeployed to the Oranienbaum bridgehead, in the post of commander of which VZ Romanovsky was replaced by the more experienced II Fedyuninsky. Since November 7, 1943, the Maritime Task Force was transferred to the headquarters of the 2nd Shock Army, part of which was gradually transferred to the bridgehead by the forces of the Baltic Fleet and transport aviation for several months. In total, from November 5, 1943 to January 21, 1944, 5 infantry divisions, 13 artillery regiments, 2 tank regiments, one self-propelled artillery regiment and one tank brigade were transferred to the bridgehead - only about 53,000 people, 2300 vehicles and tractors, 241 tanks And armored vehicles, 700 guns and mortars, 5,800 tons of ammunition, 4,000 horses and 14,000 tons of various cargoes.

In all, the front forces (without taking into account the 23rd Army) numbered 30 infantry divisions, 3 infantry brigades, 4 tank brigades and 3 fortified areas - 417,600 soldiers and officers. The offensive of the 42nd and 2nd Shock Armies supported about 600 tanks and self-propelled guns, about 6000 guns, mortars and rocket launchers. Air support was provided by 461 aircraft of the 13th Air Army, the Leningrad Air Defense Army and 192 aircraft of the Baltic Fleet. The general offensive of the two fronts was supported by long-range aviation combinations - a total of 330 aircraft.

In addition, the offensive of the 2nd Shock and 42nd Armies was to be supported by the Baltic Fleet ship and coastal artillery - over 200 guns from 100 to 406 millimeters in caliber (including artillery guns of the battleships Petropavlovsk, October Revolution, cruisers Kirov "And" Maxim Gorky ", as well as the Kronstadt forts and the fort" Krasnaya Gorka ").

The 18th German Army

Troops of the Leningrad Front were opposed by some of the forces of the 18th German Army. On the direction of the main attack on the front, the defenses were held by the units of the 3rd SS Panzer Corps (the 9th and 10th Air Field Divisions, the SS Norland Airborne Division and the SS Motorized SS Nederland, as well as one regiment of the SS Police Division) in The area of ​​the Oranienbaum bridgehead and part of the 50th Army Corps (126th, 170th and 215th Infantry Divisions), which occupied the lines from Peterhof to Pushkin. In addition, the 54th Army Corps (11th, 24th, 225th Infantry Divisions) occupied the defenses from Pushkin to the Neva, and the 26th Army Corps (61st, 227th and 212th Infantry Divisions ) - in the area of ​​Mgi.

According to Soviet data, the entire 18th German Army numbered 168,000 soldiers and officers, about 4,500 guns and mortars, 200 tanks and self-propelled guns. Support from the air of the whole army group "North" was carried out by the 1st air fleet with the forces of 200 aircraft. According to other sources, the First Air Fleet numbered 370 aircraft, 103 of which were based near Leningrad.

According to German sources, on October 14, 1943, the whole army group "Sever" (including those in the north of Finland) numbered 601,000 people, 146 tanks, 2,398 guns and mortars.

In any case, the Soviet troops had a significant superiority over the German. In the direction of the main attack, the troops of the Leningrad Front outnumbered the enemy in manpower by more than 2.7 times, in artillery - 3.6 times, in tanks - 6 times.

Given the extremely unfavorable correlation of forces, the German command expected to hold positions near Leningrad, relying on the powerful defensive structures of the so-called "Northern Shaft". The strongest section of the German defense was in the zone of the offensive of the 42nd Army, where the main points of resistance were the settlements of Uritsk, Staro-Panovo, Novo-Panovo, Pushkin, Krasnoe Selo, and the altitude of 172.3 ("Crow's Mountain"). In the event of a forced retreat, the German troops had to move away from one intermediate position to another in an organized manner. For this purpose, in the depth of the defense of the 18th Army, the "Autostrada" line, the Oredezhskaya, Ingermanland, Luga and other lines were built. However, the German troops did not manage to fully prepare all intermediate lines of defense for the beginning of the Soviet offensive.

Progress of the operation
The offensive of the 2nd Shock and 42nd Armies, January 14-20

According to the plan of the operation, the troops of the 2nd Shock Army moved from the Oranienbaum bridgehead to the offensive on January 14, and the next day the troops of the 42nd Army from the Pulkovo region.

At night before the offensive began, the infantry units of the 2nd Shock Army moved to the neutral zone and dug in at 150-350 meters from the adversary's advanced positions, and the sappers made passages in minefields and wire fences. Simultaneously, heavy artillery and night bombers struck at the enemy's defense units and artillery positions.

At 10:40 am, after a 65-minute artillery preparation and a massive raid of assault aviation, two infantry corps of the 2nd Shock Army moved to the offensive on the 10-kilometer section of the front-the 43rd (48th, 90th, 98th Rifle divisions) and the 122nd (11th, 131st and 168th rifle divisions).

On the first day of the offensive the greatest success was achieved by units of the 48th, 90th and 131st Infantry Divisions, whose offensive was supported by the 152nd Tank Brigade, as well as the 222nd and 204th Tank Regiments. By the end of the day, the Soviet troops advanced four kilometers, captured the first line of enemy defenses, occupied the Porozhka and Gostilitsa strongholds, and in some sectors wedged into the second line of the German defense.

All day on January 14, the artillery of the 42nd and 67th Armies fired upon enemy positions in the Pulkovo Heights and Mgi areas in order to disorient the enemy and not to let him know where and when the next blow would be struck.

On January 15, after a 110-minute artillery preparation in which 2,300 guns and mortars took part, the formations of the three rifle corps of the 42nd Army switched to the offensive on the 17-kilometer section of the Ligovo-Ridkoe-Kuzmino front. The junctions of the 30th Guards Rifle Corps (45th, 63rd, 64th Rifle Divisions), advancing directly behind the artillery shaft, advanced 4.5 kilometers with minimal losses towards the end of the first day of the offensive. The attacks of the 109th (72nd, 109th, 125th rifle divisions) and 110th (56th, 85th, 86th rifle divisions) of the infantry corps advancing to the right and left were less successful.

In the following days, the formations of the 2nd Shock and 42nd Armies moved slowly and steadily towards Ropsha and Krasnoye Selo towards each other. The German troops rendered fierce resistance and, whenever possible, made desperate counter-attacks.

Part 2 of the shock army only by the end of the third day managed to move forward to 10 kilometers and complete the breakthrough of the enemy's main defensive line at the front to 23 kilometers. This enabled II Fedyuninsky in the morning of January 17 to form a mobile group (the 152nd Tank Brigade, as well as several infantry and artillery units), which was tasked to rapidly develop the offensive, capture and retain Ropsha.

Even more stubborn fighting unfolded in the zone of the offensive of the 42nd Army. A large number of anti-tank ditches and minefields, as well as effective artillery fire of the enemy, caused large losses in tank units of the army, which could not properly support the onset of rifle formations. Despite this, the Soviet infantry continued to stubbornly advance. Thus, the units of the 30th Guards Rifle Corps on January 16, advancing for another 3 to 4 kilometers, reached the highway Krasnoe Selo-Pushkin. On the same day, parts of the 109th Rifle Corps took a strong enemy defense unit from the Finnish Koirovo, and parts of the 110th Corps were taken by Aleksandrovka.

On the morning of January 17, the commander of the 42nd Army introduced the 291st Infantry Division and the mobile group (1st Leningrad Red Banner, 220th Tank Brigades, and two self-propelled artillery regiments) to the task of supporting the offensive of the 30th Guards Rifle Corps , To seize the Red Village, Dudergof and Crow Mountain.

By the end of January 17, the troops of the 2nd Shock and 42nd Armies shared only 18 kilometers. The German troops who threw into battle at that time not only all the tactical reserves in the area, but also the 61st Infantry Division, which made up the operational reserve, were threatened with complete encirclement.

The commander of the Army Group North was forced to seek permission from A. Hitler to withdraw part of the 26th Army Corps of the 18th Army from the Mginsky Bay in order to free up several divisions to strengthen the defense south-west of Leningrad. Not having received an unambiguous answer, G. Kuhler decided to transfer a number of formations (21st, 11th, 225th infantry divisions and other units) to the Krasnoye Selo region, but this measure did not help to change the situation. Soon the German troops began a hasty retreat to the south from the regions of Strelna, Volodarsky and Gorelovo.

On January 18, the Soviet troops achieved the final fracture of the battle in their favor.

At the site of the attack of the 2nd Shock Army, the 122nd Rifle Corps, with the support of the tank units, after a fierce battle, took Ropsha and, together with the 108th Infantry Corps and the mobile group, brought into battle from the second echelon of the army, continued the offensive to the east.

On the same day, infantry units of the 42nd Army began the assault on Krasnoe Selo and Crow Mountain; Tank units continued their offensive towards the units of the 2nd Shock Army. Fierce fighting for these key strongholds lasted several days. In the morning of January 19, a simultaneous attack from two sides of a part of the 63rd Guards Rifle Division was seized by Voronaya Gora, and parts of the 64th Guards and 291st Rifle Divisions liberated Krasnoye Selo.

On the evening of January 19, in the area of ​​Russko-Vysotsky, the forward detachment of the 168th Division of the 2nd Shock Army met and fighters of the 54th Engineering Battalion, part of the mobile group of the 42nd Army. However, taking advantage of the fact that the continuous front line had not yet been established, a significant part of the German group, having thrown heavy weapons, managed to escape from the encirclement.

On the morning of January 20, the main forces of the 2nd Shock and 42nd Armies, meeting in the area south of Ropsha, completely surrounded and then destroyed the remnants of the Peterhof-Strelna grouping of the enemy. In just six days of continuous fighting, the forces of the 2nd Shock and 42nd Armies destroyed two German divisions, inflicting substantial losses on five more divisions. About 1000 soldiers and officers of the enemy were taken prisoner. In addition, to the north of the Red Village, a German artillery group was created, which was created specifically for the bombardment of Leningrad. Total captured 265 guns, including 85 heavy.

The situation of the parties by January 20
The rout of the Peterhof-Strelna grouping, as well as the liberation of Novgorod by the troops of the 59th Army of the Volkhov Front, created favorable conditions for the further offensive of the Soviet troops.

The primary task of the Leningrad and Volkhov fronts was the final liberation of Leningrad from the blockade. The necessary condition for this was the early release of the main railway communication between the city and the country, the October Railway.

To solve this problem, the Military Council of the Leningrad Front decided to transfer the blow from the south-west to the south-east. Troops of the 42nd Army were tasked, advancing on Krasnogvardeysk, Pushkin and Tosno, to enter the flank and rear of the enemy grouping, which continued to hold positions in the area of ​​Ulyanovka, Mgi and Tosno. In the future it was planned to surround and destroy the 26th and 28th German army corps in cooperation with the troops of the 67th Army and the right wing of the Volkhov Front in a short time, regain control of the October Railway and thereby completely free Leningrad from the enemy blockade .

Simultaneously, the troops of the 2nd Shock Army were to continue the offensive to the southwest in the general direction to Voiskovitsy-Vysoklyuchevoy, to bypass Krasnogvardeysk from the southwest and thereby promote the offensive of the 42nd Army, firmly securing its right flank.

However, the Soviet command soon had to make substantial adjustments to the plan for further offensive, because on the night of January 21, the divisions of the 26th Army Corps began an organized retreat from the Mginsky-Sinyavino ridge.

Continuation of the offensive, January 21 - 31
On January 21, the troops of the 67th Army of the Leningrad Front and the 8th Army of the Volkhov Front, observing the enemy's retreat, launched an offensive. A few hours later Mga was released, and soon the control over the Kirov Railroad was completely restored. However, the Soviet troops did not succeed in developing the offensive at once. Parts of the 26th Army Corps, foothold on the intermediate line of the "Autobahn" along the October Railway, provided fierce resistance.

The retreat of German troops from the Mghi district forced the command of the Leningrad Front to change the plan for further offensives. The adjusted plan for the development of the operation was submitted to the Headquarters of the Supreme High Command on January 22 and was immediately approved.

Now the main task of the front was the early release of Krasnogvardeisk, a key node of the enemy's railway and highway communications. Then it was planned by the forces of the 2nd Shock and 42nd Armies to strike the main blow in the direction of Kingisepp and Narva. Simultaneously, the 67th Army in the auxiliary sector was to enter the Ulyanovka-Tosno line and, in cooperation with the troops of the Volkhov Front, completely take control of the October Railway. In the future the army was tasked, advancing on Vyritsa and Siversky, to promote the main strike of the front.

Thus, the command of the Leningrad Front hoped to cut off the retreat to the main forces of the 18th Army in the direction of Narva and force the German troops to retreat to the town of Luga, on which the troops of the 59th Army of the Volkhov Front were advancing.

Realizing all the danger of the situation, the commander of Army Group "North" did everything possible to strengthen the defense of Krasnogvardeysk. The 225th and 227th Infantry Divisions, which were transferred from the Mgi area, were sent to help the defending forces in this area of ​​the 11th, 61st, 170th, 126th and 215th Infantry Divisions. At the same time, G. von Kühler turned to A. Hitler with a request to allow the withdrawal of troops from the line of the October Railway and from the areas of Pushkin and Slutsk, but received a categorical order to keep Krasnogvardeisk at any cost. For this, OKH allocated the 18th Army to the 12th Panzer Division and the 502nd Tank Battalion.

On January 21, regrouping forces, the troops of the Leningrad Front continued their offensive against Krasnogvardeysk. Parts of the 123rd and 117th (from the front reserve) of the rifle corps of the 42nd Army, overcoming the stubborn resistance of the enemy, reached the approaches of Krasnogvardeisk on January 22, but they could not immediately seize the city. At the same time, the divisions of the 110th Rifle Corps (from January 22 in the 67th Army), striking south-east, bypassed Pushkin and Slutsk from the west and practically surrounded the defending units of the enemy's 215th and 24th infantry divisions.

At this time the junctions of the 2nd Shock Army, bypassing Krasnogvardeisk from the west, continued their offensive in the direction of Kingisepp. The German units of the 61st, 227th, 170th and 10th airfield divisions, retreating to Estonia, destroyed bridges, mined roads and, clinging to strong points, exerted fierce resistance, which somewhat slowed the progress of the 43rd and 122nd Corps of the 2nd Shock Army.

Fierce fighting for Krasnogvardeysk, Pushkin and Slutsk, as well as on the line of the October Railway continued for several days. On January 24, parts of the 110th Rifle Corps captured Pushkin and Slutsk, and parts of the 118th Rifle Corps of the 67th Army - Ulyanovka. By January 29, parts of the 54th Army of the Volkhov Front had completely liberated the October Railway.

On January 25, the 42nd Army of the forces of the 123rd and 117th Rifle Corps, with the support of tanks, artillery and aviation, began the decisive assault on Krasnogvardeysk. Fierce street fighting lasted almost a day. January 26 at 10:00 am Krasnogvardeisk was completely released. In the battles for the city, the 120th, 224th, 201st rifle divisions, the 31st Guards Tank Regiment and other units and units were particularly distinguished.

The liberation of Krasnogvardeisk meant the collapse of the continuous front of German defense - the 18th Army was divided into two unequal parts. The main grouping (about 14 divisions) retreated from the east, northeast and north towards Luga, and the western grouping (about 5-6 divisions), disintegrating into separate unrelated small combat groups, retreated westward to Narva. For this reason, the troops of the 2nd Shock and 42nd Armies, which continued their offensive in the western and south-western directions, advanced rather quickly. The Commander of the Leningrad Front, LA Govorov, believed that the main efforts should be concentrated on this direction, since this would immediately begin to liberate Estonia. This took into account the possibility, if necessary, of deploying some of the front forces for a strike from the Luga River to Gdov and Pskov.

Operating on the Narva route, the troops of the 2nd Shock Army captured Volosovo, cut the Krasnogvardeisk-Kingisepp railway and, by January 30, reached the Luga River. On the night of February 1, the 109th, 189th and 125th pages

At the same time, in developing the offensive in the south-west direction, the 42nd Army formations advanced 50 kilometers in three days and by January 30 reached the Luga River, taking the bridgehead on its western shore in the Greater Sabna area.

The offensive of the 67th Army, which operated on the Tosno-Vyritsa-Siversky line, did not develop so rapidly. Overcoming the stubborn resistance of the units of the 12th Tank, 212th, 126th and 11th Infantry Divisions, which covered the retreat of units of the 54th, 26th, 28th and army corps from the areas of Pushkin, Slutsk, Tosno, Lubani And Chudovo, the junctions of the 67th Army on January 27 captured Vyritsa, and by January 30 - Siversky. However, the German units continued to hold positions south-east of Krasnogvardeisk and south of Siversky, and only after three days of bitter fighting Soviet troops forced them to retreat.

Operation results
By the end of January 1944, the troops of the Leningrad Front, in cooperation with the troops of the Volkhov Front, had inflicted a heavy defeat on the 18th German Army, advanced 70 to 100 kilometers, liberated a number of settlements (including Krasnoe Selo, Ropsha, Krasnogvardeysk, Pushkin, Slutsk ) And created the prerequisites for further offensives. Although the Leningrad-Novgorod operation continued, the main task of the entire strategic offensive was fulfilled: Leningrad was completely liberated from the blockade.

On January 21, LA Govorov and AA Zhdanov, without doubting the success of the further offensive, appealed to Stalin in connection with the complete liberation of Leningrad from the blockade and from the artillery shelling of the enemy to authorize the publication and publication on this subject Order to the troops of the front and in honor of the victory won in Leningrad on January 27 salute with twenty-four artillery salvos of 324 guns.

Despite the fact that only by January 29 the Soviet troops completely regained control over the October Railway, on January 27 the order of the Military Council of the Leningrad Front was read by radio, in which it was said about the complete liberation of Leningrad from the blockade. In the evening, almost the entire population of the city took to the streets and watched with gleefully the artillery salute, which was performed in honor of this historic event.

The military correspondent PN Luknitsky recalled:

Over Leningrad, a distant scattering of small light flashes ... The volleys of three hundred twenty-four guns are rolling from the city to us through dark fields, under a low misty sky, along the convolutions of the frozen Neva. Hundreds of multicolored missiles, rising in the dark far over the city buildings, like exotic flowers on thin stems, bend and slowly fall down. We, soldiers and officers unfamiliar to each other, feeling like family and friends, are incredibly excited about this spectacle. We stand, we look, we are silent, and my chest is tight - it seems, for the first time in the whole war, I want to cry. When the salute was over, we shouted "Hurray!", Shook hands, hugged each other.

the USSR
The loss of Soviet troops in the Krasnoselsko-Ropsha operation can only be estimated approximately.

According to the statistical study "Russia and the USSR in the wars of the 20th century," the Leningrad Front, throughout the Leningrad-Novgorod strategic offensive operation, from January 14 to March 1, 1944, lost 227,440 people killed, missing and wounded (of whom 56 564 people - irretrievable losses, 170 876 people - sanitary). In addition, losses of the Baltic Fleet over the same period amounted to 1,461 people (169 people - irretrievable losses, 1,292 people - sanitary). It is difficult to establish how much of the losses are attributable to the Krasnoselsko-Ropshinsky operation, since military operations in February were also extremely fierce. In addition, it should be borne in mind that, since February 15, the front consisted of three combined-arms armies of the disbanded Volkhov Front, whose losses in combat in the second half of February were included among the general losses of the Leningrad Front in the entire strategic offensive.

The 18th German army in battle against the troops of the Leningrad Front in January 1944 suffered a heavy defeat and suffered significant losses, but, at the same time, it was not crushed and retained a significant part of its combat potential.

According to the report of the command of the 18th Army, the loss of German troops operating against the Leningrad and Volkhov fronts by January 29 amounted to 14,000 people killed and 35,000 people wounded. These figures appear to be very approximate, since the number and loss of personnel to the staffs of the army in January 1944 were recorded sporadically, the more it is impossible to indicate how much of the losses are involved in fighting against the troops of the Leningrad front.

In the Soviet literature, data on German losses are often given, as indicated in the Sovinformburo summaries. Thus, according to a summary of January 19, the troops of the Leningrad Front by that time dealt a heavy blow to the 7 infantry divisions of the enemy, destroying 20,000 and capturing 1,000 German soldiers and officers. The January 26 report states that during the offensive from January 14 to 25, 1944, the forces of the Leningrad Front split 10 infantry divisions and inflicted heavy losses on two infantry divisions, seized large trophies (619 guns of various calibres, including heavy caliber weapons from 150 to 406 milimeters - 116, mortars - 454, self-propelled guns - 20, tanks - 60, armored vehicles - 24) and destroyed 158 tanks, 445 guns and mortars, 901 vehicles. At the same time, the total loss of German troops amounted to only over 40,000 soldiers and officers killed and up to 3,000 prisoners.

Honorary names of compounds and parts
For successful actions during the Krasnoselsko-Ropshinsky operation, the order of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief distinguished the units and units that were given the honorary name in honor of their special participation in the liberation of the most important cities during the operation:

45th Guards Rifle Division
63rd Guards Rifle Division
64th Guards Rifle Division
125th Rifle Division
The 31st Independent Guards Heavy Tank Regiment
49th Independent Guards Heavy Tank Regiment
261st Independent Guards Heavy Tank Regiment
23rd Artillery Breakthrough Division
51st separate cannon artillery brigade
1st Guards Marine Railway Artillery Brigade
12th Guards cannon artillery regiment
14th Guards cannon artillery regiment
1st Guards Mortar Division
38th Guards Mortar Regiment
174th Army Mortar Regiment
320th Guards Mortar Regiment
169th Antiaircraft Artillery Regiment
705th Fighter Anti-Tank Artillery Regiment
3rd separate reconnaissance artillery battalion
7th Guards Battalion of Mines
54th Separate Engineering Battalion
277th Assault Aviation Division
101st Bomber Aviation Regiment
325th Long-range Bomber Aviation Regiment

48th Rifle Division
90th Infantry Division
98th Rifle Division
The 131st Infantry Division
98th Independent Tank Regiment
222nd Separate Tank Regiment
3rd heavy artillery howitzer brigade
30th Guards Mortar Regiment
144th Army Mortar Regiment
295th Engineering Battalion
447th Motorized Engineer Battalion
734th Separate Army Motorized Engineering Battalion
9th Assault Air Division of the Navy

56th Rifle Division
34th Separate Machine Gun and Artillery Battalion
291st Separate Machine Gun and Artillery Battalion
321st Guards Mortar Regiment
533rd Army Mortar Regiment
7th Anti-aircraft Artillery Division
72nd Separate Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
275th Fighter Aviation Division

Форум » Forum in English » Holidays Russia » January 27 The Day of the Lifting of the Siege of Leningrad (a memorable day)
Страница 1 из 11


Реклама на Froots     Условия использования     Froots © 2017